Hi, everyone! Steph here to show you a fun technique that I stumbled upon while playing around with my Distress Stains a little while back. Did you know that Market Street Stamps carries Distress Stains in the Markeplace! Head over and check it out! I LOVE to sit down with my Distress Stains and just PLAY- you never know what you'll come up with!
This time I decided to see what kind of effect I could get with the Distress Stains by "painting" them on cardstock with a dry, firm bristled paint brush. I literally pulled this paint brush out of the kids craft supplies- you don't need any type of special brush- use what ya got!
Here are the supplies I used: Distress Stains (Antique Linen, Faded Jeans, Walnut Stain, and Weathered Wood), a paint brush, craft sheet, and white cardstock. First, dispense some Distress Stain right onto the craft sheet. Then, take a dry paint brush and dip it/swirl it in the Distress Stain. Softly drag the paint brush across the cardstock, creating rustic, nonuniform lines all the way across. Repeat this process with multiple colors of Distress Stain (I used 4 different colors), layering and overlapping colors until you develop a pattern you like! Have fun with it- add different colors and play around! Here is the pattern I ended up with. It's very rustic and masculine looking- just what I was looking for! Next, I inked up part of my Lost Garden background stamp with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. I only wanted the background to go across the bottom and right side, so I only inked those parts of the stamp! Stamp to create a fun layered look! After stamping! See that bottom right corner- it was screaming for a sentiment from Simple Joys- so that's what I did next! I played around a bit and decided on the sentiment combination "enjoy the journey." This card would be perfect to send to a friend starting college or starting a new job- so many possibilities! I stamped and cut out the sentiments "enjoy" and "the" to be adhered with foam dimensional tape. This really helped the sentiment to pop! Finally, I adhered the entire image panel to an A2 size card base. Here is the finished card: I hoped you enjoyed the tutorial today! Have fun with your Distress Stains- don't be afraid to play around with them a little bit! |






OH MY BEAUTIFULNESS! This is gorgeous and the Lost Garden background looks like it was MADE for this technique! Very creative, chica!
ReplyDeleteI love this!!!! What a fun technique! Great tutorial, great card :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome job!! And soooo easy breezy!!!! I'm gonna incorporate this into a class I plan on teaching!! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteso fun!! thanks for the tutorial :) hugs
ReplyDeleteThis is such a wonderful technique... and those colors are perfect! You did such a great tutorial!
ReplyDelete-Sam
That's awesome! I love how the technique lends itself to a vintage or grungy look but you made it work with clean and simple SO well. Fabulous!
ReplyDelete-Tifany
http://inkblotsbytrd.blogspot.com/
Very very cool!!
ReplyDeleteOmg what a fun technique and amazing card!!!
ReplyDeletethanks so much for the tutorial. just got my collection of these Tim Holtz dyes. now i have some new ways to use them. GREAT!!!!! Your blog is terrific. ekc
ReplyDeletegreat tips, Stephanie! I love your card.
ReplyDeleteVery cool idea! Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteGreat tutorial Steph, love the card! I've never worked with the Distress Stains...what is the difference between the stains and the inks?
ReplyDeleteI tried this technique and love the effect
ReplyDeleteThanks for the lesson and inspiration